Saturday, June 13, 2009

 

What's new at Krystal?

Despite being exiled to Burgatory, I still keep up with what's going on at Krystal. They make it very easy with their blog Krystalist.com as well as Facebook and Myspace pages, plus Twitter. And of course there's the classic Krystal.com. In fact Krystal does such a good job of spanning the various information outlets that Krystal Marketing VP, Brad Wahl, was invited to speak on them at a recent national trade show. Read that close. Krystal, a regional favorite was invited to speak at a national conference. And look at the other 4 people invited. McD's of course. Dunkin Donuts? Well ok. Where's the King? Where's that red haired girl, Wendy? And the Taco Dog? No where.
Despite only covering about a third of the country, Krystal outshines some of the bigger national chains. You knew it. I knew it. It's time the rest of the world knew it. Via the internet, it is possible. And remember folks, you and I and Krystal Adventures were there in the beginning, as Krystal first dipped its toe into the social network pond with Krystal-lover Blog almost 3 years ago, thanks to Kenny, Tiffany, and Jennifer.
Since I am a regular reader (that means daily) of Krystalist, I've seen an awful lot of new Krystal products hit the stores. Sadly, I have been unable to get to the stores to try most of them. On those rare occasions that I do get near a Krystal I have to overindulge to try and catch up.
For example, on my recent trip through the Atlanta Airport I obviously got the standards for breakfast.
As I was eating my Scrambler, I looked up and realized I was at Krystal during "The Magic Minute" first mentioned here a year ago. The Magic Minute is at 10:30 when Krystal switches from Breakfast to Lunch service.
The Airport Krystal physically pulls down their menus, replaces the inserts, and then puts them back up. Some of the newer stores they just flip around, or slide over.
It is called the Magic Minute, because for a brief moment you can order off BOTH menus. Since they are switching out the menus though you need to know what you want as it may not be up there.
Knowing I wouldn't be able to get back for Breakfast on my return flight, I ran back up to order their new French Toast sandwich. Unfortunately on a 1 to 5 K scale, my sandwich only got 3 Ks. Admittedly it had to stay sealed up in its wrapper as I made my way to concourse C, and perhaps if it was fresh would have been better. My french toast was a bit dry and tough. Since I had gotten the last one of the day, that may also have contributed.
You get a large sausage patty, I would love to have a choice of bacon instead. I don't remember if there was cheese or not. The reason I don't remember the cheese is that I was overwhelmed with the syrup. Of course French Toast deserves syrup. But this was not maple syrup it was clear, almost like a glaze, and it was EVERYWHERE.
Did it taste ok? Sure. But the texture and assembly left a lot to be desired. It was still better than airplane food. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but if I find myself at a Krystal for breakfast when I can sit down in the store to enjoy it, I might give it another try. It was just too messy. When you're about to hop on a plane to Florida, that's not a very good time to be sticky from the elbows down.
But speaking of messy, on my trip back home, it was clearly lunch time. There's lots of great new lunch times on the menu. I opted not to go with any of the new Krystal Freeze flavors because I think if your head is frozen when the cabin loses pressure, your skull explodes.
I went with one of the new BA Burgers. This one happened to be chili and cheese. It was good. It was a good start. Three years ago I stumbled on the Granddaddy of all BA burgers. Basically you put everything behind the counter on top of your burger. You should probably wear an apron and maybe safety glasses to eat it. It's an extra special treat for any pets you may have at home as you'll likely wind up wearing some of it home with you.
Krystal Lovers like hot buns.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?