Sunday, August 09, 2009

 

The "It's a small world" story, as told by Mom, via Amy.

Though my brother has flown back to Turkmenistan, Amy and the boys have stayed stateside for a few extra weeks to visit friends and family. Currently they are with her family in a tiny town called Fairplay, SC. Fairplay is sneezing distance from the SC/GA border up near I-85. It's a tiny, cute, quite little town.
Saturday night, Amy and her family decide to go out to eat and wind up at "The Spotted Pig" barbecue restaurant in Fairplay. At some point she noted someone sitting at a nearby table and she just kept thinking "I know him. How do I know him?" Then when she heard him talking she recognized his voice and it all clicked: It was Doug.
Keep in mind that Fair Play is probably 100 miles from where Doug lives and thousands of miles from where Amy lives.(wavy flashback lines)
Doug AKA "Douglas Brake" released a wildly successful children's album, "Sizzle, Hiss, Pop" earlier this year.

Available at www.douglasbrake.com.
I immediately got myself a copy and spent the next month or so playing it for everyone I could find. It was in heavy rotation in the office, which is ironic since I am the only person in the office who does not have kids. I knew I would have to give these as gifts to everyone I know with children. In particular this meant my brother (and Amy) and Courtney. When my brother got stateside last month I took him my copy of the CD. I told him it might be wise to listen to it BEFORE playing it for my three nephews. There's nothing "bad" on the CD but the songs are so darn catchy you'll be hearing them for the rest of your life. Jeff never got to listen to it before he flew out of the country, but he passed the CD on to Amy for road music.
Apparently the nephews are entertained but not bananas over the CD, however, the boy's cousins (children of Amy's sister Stephanie) are hog wild over it. (Hog wild, Spotted Pig, Barbecue. It's funny, just hang on.) The CD is apparently in heavy rotation in the van. (wavy lines again)
So Amy suddenly realizes that "Douglas Brake" is right there, live and in person, so she walks over to talk to him. Apparently Doug has family in the area as well and was up visiting. Amy ask Doug to come meet one of his biggest fans (obviously not in the physical sense). Doug went over and greeted everyone.
I'm not sure how many people at dinner really grasp just how "serendipitous" the event was. I am sure Amy and Doug did. To add a further twist to things, Amy doesn't know that Dough is the creative mastermind behind the naming of my soft drink "Fauxganberry. I have reworked the recipe again and been making batches of it off and on this summer. I finally have gotten what I think it a suitable beverage and I took it to my parent's house while Jeff, Amy, and the boys were there. I am now state that my Fauxganberry is "Kid tested and mother approved." The kids are obviously my nephews and Amy and my mother both gave it the thumbs up. Since Amy has been to culinary school, her opinion is key, not just from the mother's perspective, but also from the "does this work" perspective. She's got trained taste buds. I eat chocolate covered bacon and Cool Ranch Doritos on Krystals.
After dinner, apparently phone calls were flying. Amy called my mother, who called me. Apparently Doug called Jimmy who called Chris.
Since I am reporting the event at least 3rd hand (I don't have three hands) I am sure to leave out details. I fully expect updates and additions from Doug, possibly Amy (though not likely) my mother, Jimmy, or Chris.
Until then, go grab a copy of Doug's CD. Go grab several of them. You now have proof they make amazing, almost magical gifts. It's great if you have kids. It's great if you are a kid. It's great if you act like a kid. It's great if you ever were a kid. Heck it's great if you wish you were a kid.
I'm A Krystal Lover

Comments:
Hey Jason! Been awhile since your latest post. Missing your witty blog! Hope all is well!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?