Thursday, April 23, 2009

 

The last of the Fayetteville Food Fun

I can't go to Fayetteville for an extended stay and not stop by my favorite Sexually Suggestive Store, Wiener Works!
Everything about this place is fun, fun, fun. Just walking in the door, you can't help but laugh at the name. Then the menu isn't terribly complicated but has plenty of delicious stuff to fill you up. Of course there's only one thing on the menu I ever order.
The footlong deluxe combo (no slaw). When they ring up the price you get even happier because you get all this for less than $4.
Since you pour your own drink and they have cherry flavored soda, you also get to mix your own cherry Coke! (I like mine a bit heavy on the cherry.) The fries are great with a bit of ketchup. They have a "Fry Delight" on the menu I have often wondered about. Then I discovered this clip from Stan who owns the Wiener Works in Danville, Illinois, who apparently invented the French Fry Delight.

If the video above does not play Click Here.
I hope my sister in law Amy doesn't see this clip. She's been to culinary school and could easily point out the MANY food safety and sanitation issues in the clip. I'm sure you'll be able to pick out one or two. Not to mention the fact that Stan should probably pause to breathe on occasion. (On the Danville Wiener Works site you'll find the rest of the videos in Stan's series.)
Next time I am in Fayetteville I may get a French Fry Delight, minus the sour cream. (Sour cream ranks right up there with Mayo for me. ICK)
One thing I WON'T be able to get while I am at the Fayetteville Wiener Works is a t-shirt. Sure Their online store shows t-shirts.
However the yellow ones are only in kids sizes, and the really good ones are only available in Small and Medium. I haven't been a small or medium since I was about 15 or 16. Sadly, I may have to contact the Danville store to get a hat. My fear is that I'll get stuck on the phone with Stan and it'll take me 3 hours to place my order.
Speaking of things you can't buy in Fayetteville, (or anywhere) while in Fayetteville I seized the opportunity to get creative.
This wasn't the first time I'd been to one of these "Combined" Long John Silver/Taco Bell places. A little under a year ago while "house sitting" for my parents, I made a trip to the one in Jacksonville, NC. It was then that I began to think of something that Yum Brands (who owns taco Bell and Long John Silvers) had overlooked. It was an idea that came to me while watching and laughing at "Ms. Semi Ho-Maid" Sandra Lee in her video from this post from a year ago. (Warning! the linked post and what follows in this post is probably rated PG-13 for "sexuality" and "suggestive language". As if "Long John Silver" isn't already a bit dirty.)
Long John Silvers obviously has fish. Taco Bell obviously has tacos. So you can get everything you need to make the fabled "fish tacos."
I chose to go with the Chicken Soft Tacos since I (wrongly) assumed they'd be the easiest to convert. (See my last post for the problems with the chicken soft taco. Stupid taco bell!) But after some hard work removing the chicken, and most of the horrid "avacado ranch" sauce, I was able to assemble an reasonable "fish taco."
You'll need to break the fish filet in half and make two tacos with it, as they're just too big to fit into Taco Bell's "teenie weenie taco" shell. And yes, I added some hot sauce on top. Let's face it. If you're gonna have a fish taco, you really need it to be a hot fish taco, right?
OK I'm done. You can uncover your kids eyes now.
Then go get some fish tacos and Long John's Silver Taco.
Krystal Lovers like it steamy.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?