Monday, May 11, 2009

 

Carry on your Krystals.

Chris and Amy got married in Buffalo, NY, and a lot of us flew up there and back on the same flight. We flew out of Atlanta to Buffalo, NY on Sept. 11th. No, not THAT Sept. 11th. This was Sept. 2003. However, you could tell there was a bit of tension in the air.
We arrived early to the Atlanta Airport since we expected security delays. This meant we'd left home early and missed a meal. We were all a bit hungry. There's plenty of food at the Airport so several of us got Chinese food. A quick glance at my watch showed we didn't have a lot of time til we needed to be at the gate so I wolfed down my food as fast as I could. In hindsight that probably contributed to the rough flight I had. If I'd only consulted with Jimmy prior to take off.
Our return flight was roughly the same situation. Arrive at the airport early and find food there. At Chris' urging I had given up my quest for a Beef on Weck in Buffalo. Chris assured me they had great Beef on Weck at the airport. I'd never seen good food at the airport so I thought he was joking. Amy assured me it was true so I trusted them.
They were right.
When you find yourself in the Buffalo Niagara Airport see out the Beef on Weck. (I thought it was Charlie the Butcher's but may have been Andersons.)
I got to the Buffalo Airport ahead of everyone because my brother and Amy were flying out early to Raleigh and my plane with the rest of the wedding crew was about an hour later. With all that extra time I got Beef on Weck twice. Several others got it as well. And now I think lunch today will be Beef On Weck at South College Deli.
Jimmy was running a bit late, which really means he was running right on Jimmy (Jimmy-time) that is. He didn't have enough time to wolf down anything in the airport. As he came down the aisle of the plane I saw he was bringing his lunch with him. I seem to recall it was a big sub sandwich, not a beef on weck. He then explained he was hungover and hungry and just needed bread.
Since that day I have checked and you can take most anything you buy AFTER the security check point (inside what they call the "Sterile Area"). Stuff you buy outside the sterile area may be an issue, especially liquids. I know I have personally run a beef and broccoli on steamed rice and an egg roll through the X-ray machine. It always seems to knock my plastic fork off, though. (Yes another reason why I have been working on my chop stick skills lately.)
So the answer to the important question of the day: "Can you take Krystals on an airplane?" is Yes at the Atlanta Airport, since Krystal is inside the security check point. I wouldn't advice trying to bring it from outside the airport, and you should assume MilkQuakes and Krystal Freezes are forbidden.
Of more concern than TSA, however, will be your fellow passengers. After they smell the delicious aroma of your sackfull of Krystals they are likely to surround you and demand you give them one.
Now that I think of it, I was always taught that you should bring enough to share. How many seats are on this plane? If I order "A Planefull" instead of "A Sackfull" will they know what I mean?
PS- Did you know there's a Krystal Aviation? And yes, they're related. I wonder if they serve Krystals as in flight meals?
Krystal Lovers like hot buns.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?