Saturday, March 10, 2007

 

On a serious note

I try not to get too serious on Krystal Adventures. Lets face it, the world's already chock full of "serious" and you can turn on the local news to get your fill. However there is a current issue I simply cannot ignore.
While doing my recent review of my trip thru South Carolina, I was working on a post about how great it must be to live in South Carolina. One of my "plus" reasons was that there should be plenty of organs available if you need a transplant. It's sort of sick and twisted but here's how the thought evolved.
You see, South Carolina does not require adults to wear helmets when riding on a motorcycle. Technically they due require people under 21. I have a friend who is an EMT and while talking to him, he refers to motorcycle riders who go without helmets as "organ donors." The reason? According to him, when you go to a motorcycle accident scene on the interstate, don't need body bags, you need mops and sponges. "In fact, more than 80 percent of all reported motorcycle accidents result in injury or death." (source)
Now despite my joking, I do take organ and tissue donation seriously. I am utterly terrified of needles, but on Sept. 11th, I donated blood for my first time. I also returned to the local Red Cross donation center 8-10 hours a day for the rest of the week to help out.
Being a donor is more than just signing your driver's license. Hopefully you know you also have to inform your family and next of kin because they ultimately sign the organ donation paperwork. I am on the register for bone marrow donation, which is completely different than most organ donations. You must opt in, be pre-tested, and pay to get on the list. I'll explain the background on that one at some point in April.
Back in mid-February a story was posted over on Krystal-lovers blog that linked over to the full story on the blog for The Whaler who is the self proclaimed "biggest fan" of Eater X. Eater X is the alter ego of Tim Janus one of the top competitive eaters in the world. I met Eater X when I was up in Chattanooga last October. I also met part of his famous support team:

Brother-in-law X, and Sister X
Eater X's mother (obviously, Mom X) needs a kidney transplant. If you hop over to the Whaler's Blog and find you way back to the December 6th 2005 post you can read about what a survivor Mom X is. All joking about South Carolina aside this is a serious issue. The number of people who are willing to donate a kidney is tiny compared to the number who are willing to donate. The sad part is both of those numbers are drawfed by the number of people who CAN donate.
Sadly, I am the wrong blood type, so I am right out. It's a shame, too, because as friends and family know, I have an exceptional pair of kidneys. Type O blood is the most common blood type on Earth so that should mean there are plenty of folks who are candidates. If you fit the profile, please check on the process outlines on the Whaler's site. Sadly, due to my genetics (or perhaps Jennette-ics) The best I can do it sit on the sidelines, have hope and pray. But you know, everyone of you can do that, too. Yes I know I am way down here in Georgia and the X family is up in the north east corner of the US, but you never know who might be roaming through here at Krystal Adventures, or where they are from!
Lastly, here's another photo of Eater X with Dad X I am fond of, mainly due to the T-shirt. The beloved Hartford Whalers of he NHL. (RIP 1997) The irony is the Whalers are now my father's favorite NHL team, the Carolina Hurricanes.
I'm A Krystal Lover

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?