Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Krystal on the Koast

Friday morning I was up early and eager to hit the road. I got a quick snack at Waffle House before I got on the road. (Scattered, covered, smothered, in case you were wondering.)
Getting out of Florence was a bit of a mess. While I love maps.google.com for the pretty and interactive maps as well as the overhead images, frankly their directions stink! I prefer Mapquest for my directions. Sadly, I had mistakenly printed the Google directions, not the Mapquest directions, so I spent about 20 minutes on back roads in downtown Florence trying to escape the city! (Thanks Google!)
But once I got on the road it was smooth sailing. Until I got close to Myrtle Beach. Then the Google Map curse raised his head again, and I found myself driving up and down roads trying to get my bearings. Eventually I gave up on the map and resorted to my Boy Scout training. In other words I kept the ocean on my left and kept driving. Eventually I found my way out of Myrtle Beach and was once again on my way. About 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach, I finally found it:

(Click for the close up!)
This, my friends, is the eastern edge of Krystal Country. And with the Atlantic Ocean being a few hundred yards to the east, I doubt there will be a Krystal built further east. At least not until I finally get one built in NC near my parents.
I found the palm tree in the parking lot to be quite fitting. As you can see this store is going with the newer black background on their signage.
Inside it was roughly the same as most other Krystals. There were, however, a few exceptions. Most notably, the Snowbirds who had never seen or heard of a Krystal before. I sat and listened to them behind me as they discussed "the little dogs" and "the small burgers." It has been a long time since I have been along with someone for their first trip to Krystal. I had forgotten the fun and curiosity of those moments. Apparently they misjudged their appetite, as they went back to order seconds before hitting the road.
With Myrtle Beach being a haven for folks from up north fleeing the brutal winter, I suspect they get a lot of "first timers" at the Murrells Inlet location in the winter.
The other notable thing at this store was right beside the doorway:
That's the plaques for KLHOF inductees Ron Marrs (inductee #16) and Pete Hyder (inductee #12). I knew Pete Hyder was from Murrell's Inlet. Ron Marrs is from garden City, but I didnt realize thats just a couple of miles outside of Murrell's Inlet.
If you hit the KLHOF section at Krystal.com and visit the inductee archive, you can find Ron and Pete and see pictures from their joint induction ceremony. Very cool!
As for me, I went with 2 chili cheese pups, and 2 cheese Krystals. I contemplated taking them down to the beach to enjoy them. Krystals on the beach. Can it possibly get any better? At least I got to enjoy Krystals near the beach.
And speaking of the beach, be sure to come back tomorrow for more on my whirlwind Karolina Krystal road trip!
Krystal Lovers like hot buns.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?