Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

So you think you know Krystals, eh?

Have you ever heard of a Krystal? Well I assure you I have. Most folks who have known me for more than a month quickly learn about me and my relationship with Krystals.
For those who don't know, a Krystal is a small, square, steamed hamburger on a small, square bun. They are a southern staple going as far west as Texas and up the east coast as far as North Carolina
Krystal Hamburgers
For burger purists, Krystals are the southern version of White Castles. Hardee's has a similar burger called a "Slammer" which is a nickname for White Castles and Krystals. Slammers stink, by the way, and they're not even square!
Anyway, for years I have had Krystals most every Thursday. Sometimes for lunch, sometimes for dinner, occasionally I will have their breakfast. Yes I eat there other days of the week, too. Yes I eat things off the menu other than their hamburgers. But it is a safe bet that on Thursday, at some point, I will be saying "Number 1 with cheese, add ketchup, with a Coke."
A number 1 combo is 4 krystals. A Krystal comes with onions, mustard and a pickle on top. Cheese is extra. And on the really special days I add bacon, too.
Late last year Krystal started a search for people who really like their hamburgers. They were looking for nominations for the Krystal Lovers Hall of Fame. One guy from Macon actually got in.
When they ran the article in the paper, and they broadcast the story on the news, I was hit with phone calls and emails from friends asking if I was applying. At first I resisted, but eventually gave in.

This is Krystal


And the following is my story

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?